The Chapel of Ease of St Michael, Colyford

The Chapel of Ease of St Michael, Colyford

Service pattern

Below is the usual service pattern for St Michael’s. Please check the weekly pew sheet (below) for any changes.

1st Sunday 
3.30 pm Village Praise

2nd Sunday
3.30/6.30 pm Evensong*

3rd Sunday
9.30 am Holy Communion

4th Sunday
11.15 am Holy Communion

5th Sunday
refer to pew sheet

*3.30 pm autumn/winter and 6.30 pm spring/summer

Refreshments follow our Village Praise and Holy Communion services.


We have disabled access via the rear door. This leads past the WC, however it is quite difficult for a wheelchair user to access the WC unless they are able to walk a few steps: turning space is limited. We have good microphones with a hearing loop system.

Church events

On the 3rd Tuesday of the month, we meet for coffee and chat from 10-12. It’s a friendly relaxed occasion, and everyone is welcome. We also enjoy soup and puds lunches from time to time, and a Lent lunch. At Epiphany we have an evening party, at Easter a children’s event, in the summer a concert, and a Christmas fund-raising market.

History of St Michael’s Chapel

Dedicated to St Michael and All Angels, the Chapel was designed by architect Mr. R M Fulford, and built in 1888 by Messrs Luscombe and Son of Exeter. The Chapel was opened in January 1889 by the then-Bishop of Exeter, The Right Reverend Edward Henry Bickersteth. An interesting article from Pulman’s Weekly News of 1889 describes the opening service for the chapel and some of its internal features at the time, although the oak reredos
(right) was not ready for installation until 1891.